Winter is actually my favorite time of year besides fall. It’s a time for cozy sweaters, craft fairs, decorating for the holidays and wonderful food! Speaking of food, there is nothing better than a warm drink on a cold day. What could be better than a warm cup of cocoa? Swiss Miss has always been my favorite cocoa. There are tons of varieties are they have something for everyone.
This is our pug, Roger. He was a dragon for Halloween last year. Roger is a great part of our family, but any pug owner can tell you that they tend to have a slight odor after awhile. The vet told us that we shouldn’t wash Roger more than once a month due to his sensitive skin. Well, he gets that pug stink long before then! What’s a girl to do? I’m going to tell you. I tried dry dog shampoo awhile ago when I received a sample in the mail. The ingredients weren’t complicated so I decided to start making my own. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make and how well it works!Continue reading
These guys seem to be all over the place right now. One Direction, that is. You can’t go too far without hearing about them or seeing their faces on something. Have you started to think about Christmas gifts yet? No? Well, you are in luck because I have. There is a new line of cosmetics coming out soon and guess who the inspiration is?
This is sure to warm your teen’s heart since the “The Looks Collection” is made up of three sets featuring their chart-topping albums, “Up All Night, “Take Me Home” and ‘Midnight Memories.” Everything is encased in a cute keepsake tin that has One Direction stencils so you can make it distinctly yours. Each tin has instructions on how to complete the specific look too. I think this is a great buy for any teen (at an age where cosmetics are appropriate) who loves One Direction and beauty products!
You can learn more about the new line, available at Macy’s right here: http://bit.ly/1DMakeupLooksCollection.
Check out this link to find them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MakeupbyOneDirection
Right now, you can even sign up to win one!
Follow this link to enter: Good Luck!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post. All opinions and commentary is my own. This is a BrandBacker blogger campaign.
My blog was recently nominated by Tammy’s Luvs & Reviews for the Liebster Award! She writes a great blog and I suggest you click on her name and check it out! Thanks, Tammy! The Liebster Award is for new bloggers that inspire others. I am excited to be nominated and I look forward to all the fun stuff that I have in store for my blog! Part of the nomination is to pay it forward and nominate other new bloggers! Therefore, I nominate
Jada Durden from Lovingthislifejada.com
Jess Griffin from Growing Up Griffin
Codie Louise Austin from CodyKinz Loves…
Tammy had some questions for me to answer as well:
1. What is my favorite thing to blog about? I love blogging about saving money. I love being a cheapskate and I believe that I can help ANYONE save more money!
2. Who is my celebrity crush? Hmm. I think it’s a tie between Rob Zombie and Bradley Cooper.
3. What is my favorite tv show? My guilty pleasure is Teen Mom 2.
4. Who is my favorite singer? I love Geoff Rickley and the band, Thursday. He’s actually my friend on facebook! 🙂
5. What is my favorite food? I really love food. I have a favorite in each category! haha! But I will just put Et Tu Caesar Salad Kits for the sake of time.
6. What do I do on Friday nights? You can find me at my local Harris Teeter, in the deli, making your favorite sub for $4.99 footlong night. I like to live dangerously…
8. Will I tell you a secret about myself? No, because then it wouldn’t be a secret.
9. Who is my favorite team? I don’t really follow sports. I enjoy watching the Olympics sometimes though. So maybe, Team USA?
10. Cats or dogs? Good gravy! Dogs! A thousand times, dogs!
11. If I could have any superpower, what would it be? The power to heal people with my touch.
I have some questions for my nominees too!
1. What do you consider the most extreme thing you’ve ever done?
2. Name your favorite band or singer.
3. Name your favorite song.
4. What would you do with a million dollars?
5. What did you make for dinner last night?
6. What is your favorite color?
7. If you could live anywhere, where would you pick?
8. What’s one thing you hope to accomplish before you die?
9. What’s one thing you hope to accomplish before the day is over?
10. What’s the last book that you read?
11. Why did you start blogging?
Well, have a great day and be sure to check out some of these fine bloggers!
Yes! You just have to have an open mind and a closed wallet. Haha! One of the things my family loves is trying different restaurants and going out to eat. However, we stick to a very strict weekly budget and it takes some creative planning on my part. When we go out to a restaurant, we utilize as many of these tips as possible. Order up!
1. Plan Ahead– Just like with most things in life, a plan helps things go smoothly. We decide early in the week that we are/have to eat out this week. Then I search for coupons in the newspaper, online, or just by asking friends. I decide on a restaurant and then sign up for their email newsletter (in advance and I use my ‘freebie email address’ but I’ll have another post about that later). Then in a day or two, you usually get a coupon for a free appetizer or a percentage off your meal! Gift cards are also a great buy. If you get them at certain times of the year, they offer extras. For example, if you buy $50 in gift cards, you’ll get a free $10 gift card for you. They don’t know that they are all for you! Then use them throughout the year, combined with coupons/deals to save even more without breaking your budget.
2. Drink water– This one sucks sometimes but it’s totally worth it. Sodas can rack up a bill, costing as much at $3 and some places don’t have free refills! Don’t get me started on cocktails! Water is free. If you really can’t stand water, ask for lemons, squeeze them in your water, and then sneakily put a packet or two of sweetener for a makeshift lemonade. Hey, I said I was thrifty! You might get embarrassed by some methods. To each his own.
3. Eat locally & know the specials– Remember tip #1. See? It comes in handy. Local restaurants like local customers because you will come back if you enjoy it. Therefore, eat when they are having a special deal. Kids eat free some nights, certain meals will be cheaper, etc. One local diner in our town has Italian Night every Wednesday and you can get homemade Eggplant Parmigiana, spaghetti, garlic bread, and all you can eat salad bar for $6. It’s enough for two meals plus, I bought a locals card from the area high school that gets us an extra 20% every time we eat there after 4pm. Seriously. It pays to know the specials.
4. Waste not. Want not – We never waste food. If they give us free bread and we don’t eat all of it, I take it home. Someone will eat it, even if it’s our dog. You can even tell them how much you love the sauce/bread/whatever and a lot of times, the server will wrap up an extra one for you. It pays to be nice to your server. Take all your leftovers home! Even a tiny bit of veggies or meat can be added into tomorrow’s dinner.
5. Happy Hour– My landlord used to go out every Tuesday with her husband and sit at the restaurant’s bar. She got amazing specials and got to try delicious food for a fraction of the price. You don’t need to drink to sit at the bar. But if you ever want a cocktail, this is the way to go.
6. Go around closing time– This works best for fast food. Sometimes if you show up around the time they close, they want to get rid of the food that’s left over so you’ll get it at a better deal or even for free. It tastes the same or maybe even better since the deal was so sweet!
I hope you can use some of these tips and found them helpful. I know they come in handy with my family. Who doesn’t like saving a little money?
Perhaps some of you followed my old blog with the same name on Tumblr. I know. I know. Tumblr for a blog?!?! What was I thinking? Well, I was thinking that I knew hardly anything about writing a blog, so get off my back, ok? But seriously, I want to start posting regularly and actually try to have people read this, so here goes nothing.
I used to write about everything but I have decided to scale down and write about one of my true passions: saving money. I live for it and I love it. So, this blog will be the story of my life. But wait, I wasn’t born a cheapskate! In fact, I used to have quite a bit of debt built up when my husband and I both worked full time. When I had my daughter, we decided that I would become a stay at home mom/domestic engineer and care for her. Then my son came along and we found out that we needed to trim the fat from our budget or we would be in a lot of trouble financially. Thus, I found my calling.
I’m going to teach you how to save through (basic) couponing, tips, recipes, and all of my tried and true hints. These are all things that I personally do and are still doing currently. So if I recommend something, it’s because I’ve tried it and I like it. I won’t steer you wrong!
So climb on board and enjoy the ride! I hope you are as excited as I am.